We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I have to tell you about my 13-year-old granddaughter, Georgia. She plays Lacrosse, is a talented singer & actor who loves theater. But Georgia’s great love is BAKING – and that girl can bake!
She loves baking cakes and cookies but her specialty is CUPCAKES. Decorated cupcakes that look like they came out Martha Stewart Magazine. We recently had a family baby shower and Georgia put herself in charge of dessert. She made all kinds of cupcakes piped with blue baby decorations (it’s a boy), red velvet cupcakes swirled to perfection with cream cheese frosting and lemon cupcakes filled with homemade lemon curd. I have never in my life made homemade lemon curd. (it comes in a jar a Publix.)
When I was in Upstate NY visiting in August she confessed that she didn’t like making pie crust. She went on the internet and found an alternative – a peach custard tart.
Off to the farm stand for tree ripened peaches, Wegman’s for a tart pan and she was all set. The original recipe called for vanilla but she thought it would taste better with almond – She hit the nail on the head – PERFECT
Another thing. Georgia’s great goal in life was to get taller than my 5’1″. She passed me by when she was about 9!
Peach Custard Tart
1 hour, 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
tart filling ingredients
- 3 large (about 3 cups) peaches, peeled and sliced*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
*Substitute 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen sliced peaches, thawed, well-drained. Pat frozen peach slices dry with paper towels thoroughly before placing in tart.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Combine butter and 1/3 cup sugar in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add 1 1/4 cups flour and almond extract; beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Press dough onto bottom and up sides of ungreased 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Bake 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove crust from oven; arrange peach slices over hot, partially baked crust.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Combine all remaining filling ingredients except almonds in bowl with whisk. Pour filling mixture over peach slices; sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake 32-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is set.
- Cool completely. Store refrigerated.