We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
It’s now November in SW Florida. After a sweltering summer, we finally got a break in the weather and Rob requested what he calls “Winter Food”. I had beef short ribs in the freezer and called our friend Ruth Manchester (who by the way is an award-winning chef) for a suggested recipe. Off the top of her head she rattled off this recipe & it turned out to be absolutely delicious. Served with garlic mashed potatoes & roasted carrots.
I’m so glad it’s that time of the year again when we welcome back our Northern neighbors & start cooking more “winter food”! And for this recipe, I’m using two of my favorite cooking tools” my large All-Clad skillet, and large Le Creuset Dutch Oven.
Sherry Braised Beef Short Ribs
3 hours, 45 minutes
- 8 slices Smithfield thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 lbs beef short ribs
- Morton Kosher Salt and McCormick Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 6 sprigs Rock Garden Organic fresh thyme
- 1 McCormick Bay Leaf
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Taylor Dry Sherry
- 1 Quart Kitchen Basics beef stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place bacon in a large All-Clad skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned about 10 minutes. Transfer crisped bacon with a slotted spoon to a Le Creuset Dutch Oven. Retain bacon drippings in the skillet.
- Generously season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat bacon drippings in the same skillet over high heat. Cook short ribs in hot bacon fat until browned and caramelized on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer ribs to the Le Creuset Dutch Oven, reserving drippings in the skillet. Add thyme and bay leaf to the ribs mixture.
- Reduce heat under the same skillet to medium. Cook and stir onion in the skillet until soft and golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk flour into onion mixture and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Pour sherry into onion mixture; cook until thick and hot, about 2 minutes. Pour onion-sherry mixture into a Le Creuset Dutch Oven; add beef broth and salt to taste. Bring ribs mixture to a simmer and cover the Dutch oven with a lid.
- Transfer Le Creuset Dutch Oven to the preheated oven and cook until short ribs are fork tender, about 3 1/2 hours. Remove ribs to a serving dish, reserving sauce in the pot.
- Set Dutch oven high heat and boil sauce until reduced and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Spoon reduced sauce over ribs.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and
- Roasted Organic Whole Carrots