The weather has been unseasonably warm here in SW Florida this fall, but yesterday a “cold” front came through to everyone’s delight. We had a high of 64 degrees with an overnight low of 45. Today was even cooler by several degrees. So, I thought it would be great to make what Rob calls “Winter Food”. I had all the ingredients for beef stew. Around 9:00 am I pulled out the Crock Pot, dusted it off, and started peeling and chopping the vegetables. About fifteen minutes later, I tossed the veggies and meat into the slow cooker and turned it on low. In ten hours dinner will be ready.
In the meantime I just relaxed. Warmed by my favorite sweatshirt, long pants and socks, I read a book while the house filled with the delicious aroma of the hearty stew.
P.S. – By Friday it’s going to be 80 degrees.
10 Hours 15 minutes
- 2 pounds of stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 5 medium carrots, sliced
- 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 7-8 baby potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of beef stock