We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Did you know that November 30th is National Mousse Day? Neither did I!
As I’ve mentioned before, Rob is a big dessert guy. To be honest, I can’t think of a sweet that he doesn’t love. I’ve made chocolate mousse many times but since it’s now harvest time for Meyers Lemons in SW Florida, I thought I would give it a try. Plus, last week Rob and our neighbor Lisa harvested three lemon trees that we share between our properties. Hours of cutting and squeezing later, they filled dozens of containers of fresh lemon juice that they froze to use at a later date. There’s nothing better than fresh Meyers lemon juice available year round!
So, I took a large Pyrex heat proof bowl from a cupboard and pulled out my KitchenAid stand mixer and went to work.
- 3 EXTRA LARGE whole eggs
- 3 EXTRA LARGE eggs (SEPARATED)
- 1 cup Domino sugar + 2 tablespoons, separated
- 2 teaspoons of grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyers lemon juice
- 1 cup Land O Lakes heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of Dickinson’s lemon curd, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- In a large Pyrex heat proof bowl, whisk together the 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup of sugar, the lemon juice, lemon zest and a pinch of salt.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, whisking constantly until thick like pudding. It usually takes about 12-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and set aside for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place half of the leftover egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of a
KitchenAid stand mixer
- fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed and add the 2 tablespoons of remaining sugar. and continue to beat until whites are stiff and shiny.
- Carefully fold the egg white mixture into to the chilled lemon pudding.
- Using the same bowl, beat 1 cup of heavy cream until forms stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold into the egg white and lemon mixture.
- Carefully fold in the room temperature lemon curd.
- Spoon into 6 individual dishes for serving. I usually used stemmed wine glasses for presentation. Top with fresh raspberries.
- PLEASE NOTE – In the list of ingredient, I emphasized EXTRA-LARGE eggs. I used large eggs in a previous recipe and it took longer to cook to the pudding consistency.
Unique and Delicious Meyers Lemon Mousse!