This recipe contains affiliate links to our favorite products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
As Rob previously mentioned we were at Week’s Fish Market in Bonita Springs & purchased a whole Lane Snapper. We have a friend, Chef Hector who had previously prepared snapper grilled in banana leaves in our outdoor kitchen.
Rob decided that we would be doing our first live video while preparing this meal. How hard can it be? He was on camera so I was elected to man his iPhone. I need to admit that I am totally technically challenged – Finally replace my flip phone for an iPhone a few months ago but keep forgetting to charge it. Oh Well! Did a decent job for a novice but didn’t know how to turn it off at the end.
The snapper was moist and delicious and just need a squeeze of lemon at the end. PS -THE GRILL RAN OUT OF GAS HALF WAY THROUGH COOKING!
Citrus Chili Lane Snapper Grilled in Banana Leaves
- 3 lbs whole Lane Snapper, yields approximately 2-10 oz filets (skin on), separated into 4 equal size portions.
- 4 large banana leaves
Citrus-Jalapeno Marinade ingredients
- 1/2 cup Tropicana orange juice
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 4 + gloves of garlic
- 1-2 tbsp Bee Proud honey
- salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in the Citrus-Jalapeno Marinade into a large glass dish or Ziplock plastic bag. Place Snapper filets inside and seal. Let filets marinate in your refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Soak skewers in water so they don’t burn on the grill.
- Using a Wusthof knife cut banana leaves into a minimum 4 /16-inch half-leaves
- Wilt banana leaves on the grill at medium-heat until pliable. Be careful not to scorch the leaves.
- Wrap the fillets with the leaf piece and secure with a skewer. Do this for each filet. When grilling the banana wrapped filets you’re actually steaming them from the moisture with the leaves.
- Grilling Time: On a pre-heated grill at medium heat, cook the wrapped Snapper filets for approximately 8-10 minutes each side, or less. This is a personal call based on your preference for sushi versus well-done.
Recommended Side Dishes:
– Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
– Wilted Romaine Lettuce, drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper to taste