Our daughter asked if I would be willing to spend 2 weeks in August watching her to girls Sophie (17) & Georgia (13). while she went to a writer’s conference in Vermont. I love these girls and of course said yes! Let me tell you about “babysitting” for a 17 year with a driver’s license, an evening job at a restaurant and her own car & a 13-year-old with a million friend within walking distance. I never saw them unless it was to go to the mall or out for lunch!
I insisted on cooking a real meal for them one night They chose pasta carbonara because they both love pasta & bacon and Mom cooks healthy. (REALLY HEALTHY). We all cooked together and the next morning when I asked what they wanted for breakfast the wanted LEFT OVERS.
PS – I enjoyed two weeks of ideal 70-degree weather, read 5 books & and enjoyed “a little bit of wine” because THEY WERE NEVER HOME!
- 12 ounces (weight) pasta of any kind
- 8 pieces thick cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups parmesan, finely grated
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- salt & black pepper
- 1/2 cup peas
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, fry the bacon until just barely crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Pour off all of the bacon grease, but don’t clean the pan. Return the pan to the stove over medium-low heat and throw in the onions and garlic. Cook until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, Parmesan, cream, and salt and pepper until smooth.
- When the pasta is done, reserve a cup or two of the pasta water. Drain the pasta and place it in a bowl. While the pasta is still really hot, slowly drizzle in the egg mixture, stirring the pasta the whole time. The sauce will become thick and should coat the pasta. Splash in a little hot pasta water if needed for consistency.
- Halfway through, add the peas, bacon, and sautéed onion/garlic.
- Finish adding the sauce, stirring until it’s all combined.
- Serve immediately with extra Parmesan. Delish!